Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Disneyland Park - Paris


Peyton outside the hotel.
TWO bags have now arrived, only FIVE more to go! Luckily, Patrick put some of his clothes in one of Peyton's bags so he at least has a change of clothes now. No luck for my Mom, but we bought her a Mickey shirt at the park today.

We spent the day at Disneyland Paris and although it is MUCH smaller than the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, it is very nice. We had pastries for breakfast once we got in the park and they tasted great. We rode a bunch of rides, but Peyton and I were too chicken to get on the Space Mountain ride. From what Patrick (the only brave person) said, it was like riding Kumba (a wild coaster in Tampa) in the dark. Unlike Space Mountain in Florida, this one was COMPLETELY dark and did lots of loops. Patrick and I did go on the Paris version of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and it was really cool. It has not been updated to include Johnny Depp like the American versions, but it was much longer and had a lot more effects.

The biggest hit was Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The majority of the ride was on an island, so we wondered how the train got there. It turns out that there in an underwater tunnell that zips you over to the island once you are on the ride. It felt much faster than the American version and once again MUCH longer. The other thing that surprised me was that the lines were almost non-existent. Many of the rides only had about a 5 minute wait.
Thunder Mountain had the longest wait at about 30 minutes. We were easily able to see everything we wanted to see in about 6 hours.

For those traveling here, the free shuttle to the parks is quite convenient. We even went to the wrong stop and a very nice Frenchman explained to me that we were in the wrong location. He did not speak a word of English, but my French was able to understand what he was trying to say. It has been a LOOONG time since I spoke any French, but I think I am remembering quickly. Many of the people in the area speak at least some English and those who don’t are very kind and speak slowly. :)

We ran into a few rude people in the parks, but I think you find just as many in Orlando as we found here in Paris. I must say we have found everyone to be quite delightful and when they see us (I guess we stand out as Americans), they always ask what part of America we are from.

No comments: